History of Plauen

The city of Plauen with its 65,000 inhabitants is the largest city in the Vogtland region and is the area’s top lace centre and city in the truest sense of the word. Plauen was first mentioned as “vicus plawe” in the consecration document for the St. Johannis church in 1122 and was first mentioned as a town in a document dating back to 1244. The city has had a chequered history. Once lace production started in the 19th century, Plauen’s economy experienced a boom and hit a peak, mainly as a result of its quality lace industry, which became famous around the world. 75 per cent of the city was destroyed during World War II and the city was deliberately neglected under the former East German regime, because it was near the border with Bavaria. But it has developed in a striking manner since German Unification in 1990.



Did you know that it was the citizens of Plauen, alongside the people of Leipzig, who were primarily responsible for fall of the wall in Eastern Germany in the autumn of 1989? The citizens of Plauen can be proud of what they have achieved. Come and see for yourself! We invite you to explore the Vogtland capital.

Page functions

Tourist Information Plauen
Contact
Phonenumber
0049 37 41 / 2 91 - 10 27
Fax number
0049 37 41 / 2 91 - 3 10 28
Internet address
Internet
Address for visitors

Unterer Graben 1
08523 Plauen

Opening times
April to
October
Mo - We
10 am - 6 pm
Thu - Su
10 am - 4 pm
November to
March
Mo - Thu
10 am - 5 pm
Fr - Sa
10 am - 2 pm
Advent weekends
Sa and Su 10 am – 4 pm
24./25./26./31.12.: closed

Public holidays 2017
Day of Prayer and Repentance
10 am – 4 pm
Mailing address

Post Office Box: 10 02 77
08506 Plauen

map section
click here for the map section click here for the city map

Meta navigation