Plauen Lace is a textile product which is world reknown for more than 120 years. The economic and cultural development of the Vogtland region and its capital the City of Plauen was eminently shaped by it. Plauen Lace and embroidery are a result of an ancestral tradition in the manufacturing of textiles in and around Plauen.
The City of Plauen was a center of clothmaking and cotton weaving during the 15th and 16th century. The search for new opportunities during the progressive decline of this trade resulted in embroidery. At the dawn of the 19th century the flat stitch embroidery by hand was introduced which lead to tulle embroidery in 1880 which was the basis for the later "Plauener Spitze" (Plauen Lace) brand. In 1883 the first embroidery machines with pantograph shuttles were erected. The chemical lace started to conquer the world with the name "Plauener Spitze" (Plauen Lace). It is a lace where the stitching area is stitched with embroidery threads that form a continuous motif. Afterwards, the stitching areas are removed and only the embroidery remains. The stitching base is made of a chemically soluble material. At the World Exhibition in Paris the Plauen Lace was honored with the Grand Prix on August 18th 1900.